random thoughts and trivia

Saturday, December 27, 2003

Figured out why I didn't like it

No I'm not referring to eBay this time. I figured out why I didn't like the movie I saw on Christmas Day (night?). [How DO you specify the evening of Christmas Day?] Anyway, that night I saw the British movie, "Love Actually" and I didn't love it.

What's so frustrating is that I LOVE British movies. Call me an Anglophile, but they always seem to make better ones than Hollywood with fewer "stars" and lower budgets. And this one had a great cast - Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, and Alan Rickman who are all excellent and they had acted together before in the wonderful movie, "Sense and Sensibility". Added to that was Liam Neeson who was in this movie too. So I was expecting another great (or at least good) movie.

What a disappointment it turned out to be. Maybe if I hadn't had such high hopes, I'd have like it better, I dunno. But I have figured out just WHY I didn't care for it.

"Love Actually" could have been a good movie if it had concentrated on the romance between Hugh Grant's character (he was the British PM) and his staff member. Or with the writer character and his Portuguese housekeeper.

Instead this movie had at least TEN SIMULTANEOUS love stories going on with the movie constantly switching back and forth among them. That made it confusing to follow AND all these excellent actors each got only a few minutes for "their story".

WHAT A WASTE!


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com