random thoughts and trivia

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

To try and cheer myself up (after watching the Star Trek ending last night) I went to see the new movie The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

It's a bit hard for me to rate this movie. Except for the musical number at the beginning, I rather liked it but not as well as I liked the British version I saw on PBS several years ago.

I read one review that critized the special effects of the earlier version, but I have to disagree. I PREFER the special effects of the PBS version, the entries of the Hitchhiker's Guide were better done there. The only improvement I saw in this movie version was the factory/workshop of Slartibartfast showing the construction of Earth below their feet as they whizzed overhead.

Overall I think more jokes were included (and they were funnier) in the earlier version. And it was a miniseries that actually covered more of Douglas Adams books that the current movie does.

So if you get the chance to see that earlier version, do so. Otherwise, the current movie is better than never seeing Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at all.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com