random thoughts and trivia

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Indy 500

Today I watched the end of the Indy 500 on TV and cheered Danica Patrick as she became the first woman to lead several laps of that race. She subsequently went on to win 4th place (not bad for an Indy rookie) due to combating a running-on-empty fuel status.

Interestingly the winner, Dan Wheldon, DID run out of fuel after crossing the finish line and literally had to be pushed to the winner's circle.

But my one overriding thought whenever I watch the Indy 500 on TV is always that I blew my best chance to see the race in person. Once upon a time my brother lived catty-cornered across the street from the North Gate of the Indy 500 racetrack. All I would have had to do was WALK across a large field/parking area to attend.

In case you don't know, the city of Indianapolis explodes with tourists/race attendees every Memorial Weekend. It's like the town goes nuts. It quite literally doubles in population, traffic is a mess, locals in any type of service indusy all wind up working overtime (including my brother), etc.

All I would have had to do was time my sisterly visit properly -- staying just a few days, and WALK across a field.

And then he moved out of town.

ARGH!

Bye bye convenience. Bye bye best chance to attend. I blew it.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com