random thoughts and trivia

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Sorry

I owe Sir Arthur Conan Doyle an apology.

When I first read (actually via an audiobook) his, A Study in Scarlet, I was delighted to find a description of the initial meeting of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Then the book diverted into a description of a massacre perpetuated by members of the Morman Church.

I was horrified.

Even though I'm not one myself, I was positive Mormans just don't do things like that.

Well, apparently they did -- according to an episode of Investigating History "Mountain Massacre" (in 1857 Utah) on the History Channel tonight and the book Mountain Meadows Massacre.

Sir Doyle just wrote a fictionalized account of that true event as motivation for the crime Holmes was investigating.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com