random thoughts and trivia

Friday, June 24, 2005

Disturbing

This is just disturbing on so many levels.

Was the guy peeking underneath her ... ahem ... undergarments? As a female it does give one reasons to question the wisdom of choosing airline travel.

Did he confiscate the money because of where she hid it? I can remember the first time I left home (also via an airplane) as a teenager that my parents insisted I carry my money hidden in my shoes. Was I just lucky that I wasn't searched then or are shoes preferable to unmentionables? Is a wallet the only valid place to carry money?

Or did he confiscate the money because of how much she was carrying? If it had been oh say $1000 would he have confiscated that too? Or was she over some unknown limit on the amount of cash travelers are allowed to carry with them? (I can remember my father once carrying, adjusted for inflation, about the equivalent of $25000 in cash when he went to a car dealership and paid IN CASH for a brand new car. Was he just lucky that he wasn't arrested for doing that?)

Why did the guy just automatically assume that she was a criminal and her money was Ok to seize? Isn't there a presumption of innocence anymore?

Why, after identifying herself and how she acquired the cash, did the authorities refuse to return her money so that she had to resort to a LAWSUIT to get her own legally acquired money back?

Will her lawsuit succeed? Or is the money just forfeited because someone didn't like the way she looked that day or whatever rationalization they picked and therefore had the right to seize it?


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com