random thoughts and trivia

Friday, June 03, 2005

Freedom Fridays

Yup, I'm still enjoying the FREEDOM of not having to watch any series on TV on Fridays. I perused the TV listing and passed on the Joan of Arcadia offering tonight.

I celebrated by taking a nap instead.

ARGH, I am so boring. *giggle*

And I was reading a few other blogs (after I woke up) and noticed the word, dressage on Zoe's blog. Not that she's all fancy and stuck-up (cause she's not) -- although she is European. No, the reference came from one of her guest bloggers.

It's just that it struck me, how many Americans even KNOW what that word means?

Well, okay, maybe I led an impoverished childhood (not especially) or am backwards (not really), but only ONCE before in my life has anyone ever used that word in front of me. And I had had to ask the person perpetuating that crime *exactly* what the word meant....

Well at least this time (thanks to the other occasion) I knew what the word means.

But still, isn't it odd that to some people the word is ho-hum practically in everyday use. And to others it's heard only once in a lifetime.

Dressage -- refers to show horses -- sorta like a dog or cat show only they put the horses thru an examination. No wait, THAT STILL sounds like a dog or cat show.

Stuck-up horse-nutty people have to have a fancy word for a horse show....


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com