random thoughts and trivia

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Johnny Fox

In this article it says that Johnny Fox is closing a museum he'd founded in New York City due to the overwhelming cost of rent there.

What's interesting to me, is the brief glimpse it gives of his personal life. You see I *know* Johnny Fox. Well sorts know him. I know who he is (one of 20 or so professional sword swallowers in this country) and have seen him in person many times, even speaking to him once, I seem to recall.

He has regularly performed at the Maryland Renaissance Festival over the course of the several years, that I have been a regular attendee. So this is one semi-celebrity with whom I feel I have some slight acquaintance.

Of course he doesn't know me; certainly not by name. Some of the other festival performers DO greet me by name, however, and no doubt Mr. Fox would have more incentive, if I were fonder of Swordswallowing. (My favorites tend to be an escape artist and a team that reclines on a bed of nails while audience members STAND UPON them.)

Still I acknowledge that a certain amount of skill is involved in swallowing swords without slicing ones innards. And he performs this amazing feat before a live crowd (surviving do it again and again).

Via http://www.boingboing.net/


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com