random thoughts and trivia

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Identity Theft

I wonder if anyone will get serious about Identity theft now? *sigh*

I've been doing everything that I know to do, in an effort to avoid it myself:
1. I just asked two companies to reissue their credit cards to me with new numbers (since I had transactions on them during that crucial period when info on 40 million accounts was compromised by a third party transaction processor).
2. I've had (and used) a paper shredder for YEARS to get rid of papers rather than throwing them in the trash.
3. I just got recent copies of my credit report and scanned it for errors and unauthorized entries. (Found at least one error.)

What's so frustrating is that it isn't just someone using my existing accounts that I have to worry about. Identity thieves often open OTHER accounts with credit card companies, cell phone companies etc. and proceed to run up huge bills.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com