random thoughts and trivia

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Space

Today is the anniversary of the first Moon landing, July 20, 1969.

I remember staying up until the wee hours of the morning to watch all of the live broadcast of the first men walking around on the moon. And at school the next day, half of my class were sleep-deprieved because they too had stayed up to watch it all.

And our teacher understood (ie. he was doing it too). Well ok it wasn't an elementary school class, this was Calculus I and maybe a lot of us were of the "techie" mindset. Still, a lot of Americans watched "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind," as it happened.

And that was a fateful summer for me, inspired by what was going on, I applied for a student program to work at a high-tech company. That job helped pay the rest of my way thru college and my experience working there as a student led to offers later.

So I can connect the dots and looking back see how that summer led me to where I am now.

And today also marks the passing of an icon. Well a fictional icon anyway, Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott was portrayed by the actor, James Doohan, who died today. He along with DeForest Kelley who portrayed Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy have both passed on now. And I am very sorry. I loved the original show that they helped to create.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com