random thoughts and trivia

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Katrina Update

The situation in Mississippi is pretty bad; apparently some towns are just ... gone ... non-existent, now. But the situation in New Orleans is MUCH, MUCH worse despite various warnings of the potential damages if a levee broke. Which happened ... only it wasn't just ONE levee breach. Last I heard there were at least three.

Bus and plane service STOPPED a full day before the hurricane was due. Many people who had no way to get out of New Orleans went to designated shelters. Five days later the people are still trapped at those "shelters" with no food or drinkable water.

I am so angry and upset at the conditions that those people have endured needlessly
that it's very hard for me to write anything coherent.

Links from another blog on the situation: I always did like CNN's Jack Cafferty, Paula Zahn is pissed, Independent in UK compares this disaster versus another, some OTHER countries are offering help but it's been turned down "because we don't need it". Yeah right... I bet the people at the convention center and superdome would have accepted ANY offer immediately.

And I am soooooooooooooo glad that of the charities accepting donations for Katrina relief, I chose to send my money to the Mennonite Disaster Service (they're pacifists!!!) instead of another charity higher on the list supposedly accepting donations for good works (like advocating the assassination of a foreign leader, I guess).

Or go to any of the other Americablog entries for today which seems to sum things up pretty well.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com